Favorite Blogs

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Why I Walk

Why I Walk

“Be the change you wish to see in the world" -- Gandhi.




Five years ago I really didn't know much about Alzheimer's. When I was young, I had watched my mother help care for her Mother and Mother-in-law who suffered from memory loss, but I did not really understand. I truly began to understand the difficulties and pain the disease inflicts as my Mom began to slowly slip away; as she little by little she became unable to do the everyday activities she loved, like cooking and baking.

I'm driven to raise money not only because I have seen the effects of the disease first hand, but, because I am inspired by the hard work and dedication of so many individuals and teams who participate. This is not a journey anyone should take alone.

Why Memory Walk? It’s the one thing in this journey of Alzheimer’s disease that has made me feel empowered rather than devastated, hopeful rather than discouraged, embraced rather than disheartened. It is the place where families like mine come together for a common cause, to share their stories and to make a difference for each other.

While I find it challenging to ask people to donate every year, I’m thankful that my family, friends and co-workers continue to generously support my fundraising efforts. You never know who in your life may be affected by Alzheimer’s-- give them the opportunity to join the movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment